Friday, April 8, 2011

How do we learn to communicate

There are two kinds of blind people. "Congenitally" blind (that's me and many others born in the 1940's through today, I guess) and adventitiously blind people who were blind due to degenerative disease or onset of blindness in later life, whether it be retinitis pigmentosa, (although some people acquire this at a younger age) or diabetic retinopathy, or glaucoma or cataracts. Cataracts were a seconary characteristic of my "retinopathy of prematurity" which was entitled RLF which I cannot spell but one can probably look up. There is still controversy concerning whether the oxygen in the "isolettes" or incubators or the bright lights (maybe fluorescent) were to blame. I was only two and a half pounds, and my twin was two pounds in June, 1952. Anyway, that's enough for now.