Sunday, May 22, 2011

Attitudinal Access

For many disabilities, architectural barriers are the problem, but for blind people, it's the attitudes taht are the barrier for us. So, how will we change them? Legislation may bllunt the problem, but people must be changed one at a time, or at least a few at a time. Financial issues are not the same for us, as we are the "worthy poor" as I have said. My parents are older, and I want to help them, not continue to have them assist me, and how horrible that I can't make a decent living to give back what they gave. In the movie about the blind couple, she tries to commit suicide and sees a psychiatrist. It is no coincidence nro accidental that we assuage our troubles with addicitons of one sort or another or with depression or other acceptable forms of learned helplessness throwbacks, stemming from isolation and not being valued. There is no excuse for the blatant discrimination that still dogs us. Yes, technology has been a mixed blessing for us. Those of us who are women are more at risk for depression and suicide, even though the first blind person I heard about, I might have mentioned committed suicde I heard from Pat Logan because he had a mster's degree and could not get a job in the 1960's. How evil and sad. We have to do better, much better. We have to stop blaming blind people for their learned helplessness and victimization, and I saw many blind people who would be abused and preyed upon because they did not know how to feel good about themselves. Koraling Lynne So, attitudes and being told what to think, who to date, or whatever takes its toll, and how to dress, what we look like, how to make decisions and on what basis, and living "in charge" lives, that is hard. Men, I have always contended, feel emasculated once they become blind because they are not respected by society, and cannot compete, as society thinks, on the standards the oppressor thinks. These things must be discussed. Koraling Lynne

No comments: