Monday, May 9, 2011

Looking back

In the late 1970's, David and I launched "Media Projects for the Blind," because we both read and wrote poetry. we ahd a few issues of that, and then I started "Braille Feminist Review" and we split up. That was when I was about 23 or 24. The poetry magazine was called "Hands." I don't know why it was called that, but it was an intriguing name. Most people don't know I wrote poetry, was part of a group then called "Revolutionary Song Workshop" and was part of the L.A. Women's Community chorus for five years, where I was a soloist for one or two of those. I made friends in the chorus when I moved from New York to Los Angeles, and have never really sang in Anchorage except for the synagogue, and in Juneau, I participated in a torch song event for a week, I think. I was part of many folk shows for the national convention (now a conference and convention) in various cities, was an opening singer before general session once, and sang for folk shows for AIRRES for many years, and for the Convention and Visitor's Center once. AIRRES stands for the Alaska Information Radio Reading and Education Service. I servedon international boards of radio reading services, edited their newsletter for a couple of years, and was chair and co-chair of the awards committee. I have done a lot of things, but I was helped by many people. But now, when I need assistance and to network, it's hard for me to decide between or among my various interests and capabilities. Koraling Lynne

No comments: