Sunday, May 22, 2011

Prejudice Still Exists

Wow, I just saw a movie about a blind couple trying to adopt. They got the "garbage" of children rejected by their parents who might be abused, have alcoholic parents, mental illness, or who had severe disabilities. I don't think things have changed today, even though the setting was Missouri in the 1960's was the setting. The couple, the Lees, were saddled with people who thought they should not marry because they should be with sighted partners. Joanne and I spoke about these things at some point about it being easier for blind men to find sighted spouses than the opposite. How we felt about having not very good models for relationships. This couple had hope dashed more than once, and a developmentlaly disabled child social workers felt would be better placed in an institution than with blind parents? What sickness in this world when we should be grateful, thankful, oh, yes, never complain, never, never, and yes, I understand why when a life is a big life, one can see the disability diminish because in the 1990's and afterwards, I have had advantages and luck on my side to help others, and that is what I want this blog to do, to restore hope, forgiveness, because people do the best they can. I even heard the wife, Ethel, speaking about Radio Information Service, and these were supposedly the first blind couple to adopt children. They would not place a gifted child with the parents, because they could not be sure that that environment would be good for the girl. What nonsense! But forgiveness, forgiveness, forgiveness, that is so important. Love is so important. I mean those who love and care should not be stepped on as we are. Sometimes, we lose it, or don't have the "right" attitude, but we are human, also. Both these movies had dog guides as both women had dog guides. I wonder if people try to get more women to get dogs? The dog we have is "misguided" as my husband says. She is our pet, and many thought we should never try to have a pet, though she was in seven training classes, and a service dog for my son, and she was purchased for me. Saying we should not train a dog and have her to perform emotional service and decide for us and we cannot make our own decisions or mistakes and this is almost as bad as saying we cannot adopt, and that was in 2003. The mother in this movie felt that they would divorce, and that a blind mate was not the best for her son. Even her friends tried to discourage her. We don't have too much support. My best friend from high school adopted, and I'm sure it was a pain for them, and they did adopt disabled children. So, much to ponder upon. Koraling Lynne

No comments: